Sunday 20 May 2012

Sister Mermaid...

Albert Park 5km 19/05/2012. 25:07mins
6 mile run 20/05/2012 51:38mins


Light drizzle at the start of the Albert Park run was a bit of a boost and I felt pretty strong going round. In my head when I started I had the time of 25:07 and, bizarrely, that was the official time. Managed a reasonably prolonged "sprint" at the end but I'm now acutely aware of my, less-than-attractive, 'sprint-face' after seeing the pictures of me finishing the Riverside Stadium run. I literally look dead. The beard didn't help so that had to go.

Ran the Middlesbrough 10k route today (or thereabouts - think I was a few hundred metres short but stopped at 6 miles so still a distance best so far this year). Started nice and steady. I used Sharon's Garmin thing to help pace and it was pretty useful. I haven't been clock-watching so far during runs in my training as I'm aware of needing to get up to some kind of fitness first and making that the priority (although my competitive streak still kicks in now and then as I pick people off in the park runs.). Average pace was 8:30ish per mile. Pretty pleased for a first longer run. Next challenge is the 8 miles loop at Kirklevington, where I grew up. Think my best is about 1hr 10ish so well within reach.

Soundtrack - no ipod! Didn't take it at Albert Park as one of the headphones tends to conk out in the lightest of rains and it becomes a pain. Don't know how people can listen to only one side. Got to be full on stereo for me! Went to get it for the 6 miles run but had left it in my bag at a gig last night and the drummer took it home. Naomi has asked me to help write a motivational song for her sister, Jemma Lowe, who is competing in the Olympics swimming team so I started getting ideas for that as I went round. Stuff about Mermaids and dolphins and being a fish from the knees down etc. Not sure she'll find it that inspirational but it's a start. I'll have to go out again and find the same pace to get the right tempo for the song though!

No comments:

Post a Comment