Thursday 10 May 2012

High five!

7.4km (ish) 40:06 mins. 665 KCalories burned (apparently)


The aim was to do 7/8 km so not far off and, without measuring a route, I decided 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back would be about right. Not too bad in the old predicting stakes if a little short on the distance. A steadily increasing rain helped a good deal and I even shook a few branches along the way for a good soaking to cool down. Set off at a fair pace but felt it may have been a bit too fast as I hit about 15 minutes and nearly gave up. I have never been great at pacing myself but it has got better since running more. SLight incline up Acklam road (oh by the way, what the hell is Acklam Garden City? A club? A erm gardening centre? saw a couple coming out of there on my way down Burlham Road and had never actually thought about it.). Rain got in my headphones 30 minutes in so one ear conked out which was a bugger but I was well in my stride by that point and had a little sprint at the end too. Getting better.

Soundtrack: De La Soul "Buhloone Mindstate" 8/10 (10/10 for the album though!)

"It might blow up but it won't go pop". So begins De La Soul's third album and it's my favourite of theirs and, having listened again after a fair absence up in my top ten easily of all. It's my favourite jazz album too  (I have a very short list of those to be fair). De La Soul? Jazz? Surely they are purveyors of hip-hop or even "hippie" hop as they were originally labelled. Buhloone Mindstate sees them wilfully heading underground and along a more Afro-centric route musically and lyrically. A creeping cynicism and negativity is there in the increasingly foul-mouthed lyrics (certainly never on a par with Gangster-rap in those stakes though). The music is deceptively deeply textured. Blue note jazz samples and live brass (courtesy of Maceo Parker) provide sophisticated melodies and harmonies whilst the beats become, if anything, more primitive and simple so it was great for pushing me along on the run. There's a slight Middle-Eastern flavour to a handful of the songs too which is deliciously effective and exotic. The tune-free, beat heavy "Stakes is High" came next but this, for me was the high watermark for them and doesn't feel like a nostalgia trip despite the occasional reference to '93. Was it really that long ago?


This Stevie Wonder sampling "Breakadawn" single was about as pop as they could muster for the album. Great groove and feel though. £3.99 for the album. Don't hesitate!

No comments:

Post a Comment