Saturday 5 May 2012

Difficult Third


5th May 2012

Albert Park Run 5km – 25:57mins. 9am

Managed to keep the Friday night drinking session down to a very respectable 5 pints and home for tea which I'm sure surprised Sharon. She got her own back in the surprise stakes though by nudging me awake every so often last night as I guess I must have been snoring. Up early to drop Erin at her friends for a sleepover and then down to the Park. Even managed a bit of a warm up, which I don't usually bother too much with but the aches needed stretching. Looked like rain for a bit which would have been reasonably welcome but then the sun turned on after the first bend and the first lap was a it of a struggle. I didn't get lapped though, which has happened the last few times I've done the timed run so a bit of a boost heading into the final lap. Didn't have much left by the end but finished reasonably strong despite being overtaken by one of Isaac's 12 year old friends on the final bend #shakesfistand growls but managed to achieve my target of sub 26 mins (by my watch anyway - the slight stagger at the start probably lost me a few seconds on the official time). Still got a fair way to catch up with Mr Nicholls though who I used to be on a par with so plenty of work to do. Next target -7/8km


Soundtrack – Beastie Boys - Ill Communication. Saddened by the premature death of Adam Yauch (MCA - 47!) it could only be this to soundtrack the run this morning. Beastie Boys have long been a favourite of mine, from the snotty debut "Licensed to Ill" to the seminal "Paul's Boutique" and then their equally genre-busting albums "Check Your Head" and this they blazed a trail through the 90s with a funky blend of erm... funk, hip-hop and hardcore punk. Their crowning glory, in no small part thanks to the video, is often considered to be Sabotage from this album but the whole thing is a rip-roaring collage of cool. Your work is done Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment