Thursday 3 May 2012

My First Run

Ok, so a very quick explanation. I'm training to run the Great North Run for the charity Mind on September 16th 2012. Used to be a very fast runner as a child/teen but now I'm the wrong side of 40 and need to get back up to speed. The following posts will be about each run I do, how it was, what I listened to etc. 

1ST MAY 2012 -

5 Km – 26:35mins. Started approx 10.30am

Dropped Donovan off with his Nana then ran the Albert Park Run route. Bottle of wine the night before probably didn’t help too much but I was pleasantly surprised with the time. Hadn’t looked at my watch until through the finish and had expected about 30 mins (which I would also have been reasonably happy with). Talked a little with David in the cafĂ© after about him doing the London Marathon. 3:09 he did it in! I’m aiming for sub 2hrs for this half one. If I shed a few pounds and get back up to fitness I should be well on the way to achieving it. An even bigger push and, yes, to knock at least some drink and fatty foods on the head could probably see me getting closer to 1:45 or even less. Intend to run again Thursday and possibly Saturday although I have also planned a post-work drinking session in my head!

Soundtrack – Dodgy “AceAs and Killer Bs” 7/10 – Quality, British guitar pop. The ballads were epic enough to keep me going and the faster stuff just brilliantly written and played. Their first two albums are The Stone Roses 2nd and 3rd really if you're into that sort of thing and want something that bridges The Roses first with their long awaited second. I might be supporting Dodgy soon too!

http://www.justgiving.com/andy-johnson71/eurl.axd/cc857dfe2afe0647ae9344bc807c35f9

2 comments:

  1. 5K in 26:35, was it downhill?!?
    Joking apart, great time for first session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done better. This is just me getting back into some sort of fitness for the GNR. Maybe I should try some Guns ' n ' Roses come to think of it. Then again... ;)

      Delete