Tuesday 8 May 2012

May the fourth be...sorry, the eighth...erm

6Km - Albert Park. 32:52mins

Not sure I can say I woke up feeling terrible as I barely slept and had feverish hallucinations all night. I've had swollen glands in my neck for the past three days which have been pretty painful although, even with the accompanying sore throat my voice has barely been affected and I managed to soldier through a gig yesterday. Anyway, for arguments sake, I "woke up" and didn't think I'd be able to complete the planned run today but after a quick splash I felt so-so and trundled Donovan off to the park to meet his nana. He insists on bringing his scooter along and then insists on me carrying it 95% of the way. It's a warm-up of sorts I suppose. 
The run started slowly and I had no idea how I would feel after a lap but wasn't achy so just kept going. I feel, generally and despite the current illness, fitter than a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad I pushed myself to get out the house this morning. It would have been very easy to just say no and curl up in front of CBeebies under the Hello Kitty blanket. It started raining a bit at the end of the second lap which spurred me on to do another and, although I was feeling a bit weak (some breakfast might have helped that), I didn't really struggle to get round and managed to pick off a fellow runner who was kitted out in jeans and Adidas Sambas so maybe not a huge victory there.
The Great North Run is equivalent to about 4 or 5 of what I just ran. 

Soundtrack: Sly & The Family Stone "Dance To The Music". One of my favourite bands but not my favourite album. I chose it because it pretty much pumps out soul beats for its short duration so thought it would help me in my slightly fragile state. It did, to an extent, but the vintage mix is a bit odd in these circumstances when you need something a bit more "widescreen". Great band though. The album finished with a couple of minutes of the run to go (I don't have the repackaged, deluxe-"extra track and a tacky badge version" that I've linked to although their reviews are fair enough, the album is essentially one idea played out over 30 minutes) so I fumbled about with my ipod and ended up, firstly, with the theme tune to Charlie's Angels and then The Winner Takes It All by Abba. there are some dark, yet strangely sequinned corners of my music collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment