Wednesday 15 August 2012

Stupidity Tries

Distance 5km ish - Time 22:53

Felt really strong on this run today. Had been really muggy all day with the clouds and rain finally drifting in around tea-time making me not particularly want to go out. Set off at a pace that I thought I'd regret but stayed steady on it throughout the run, save for a sprint at the end. Thought I might slow down for the second lap of Albert Park but my body just kept going. Happy with the time too. A bit of short of 5km I think but probably still an improvement on recent runs of the same distance. Could probably do with some new trainers soon for the Great North Run in time to wear them in. Always a gamble with me as I struggle to find trainers and shoes that are comfortable anyway. Lack of funds doesn't help either although I'm chuffed that I've met my initial target in the fundraising before the first deadline. Thanks to all who have so far donated.

If you still want to donate (I'm running for Mind - The Mental Health Charity) then you can text ANDJ71 £(amount) to 70070. The number you put in the amount will be for the full run, not per mile etc.

Soundtrack - Elliot Smith - Figure 8



I came to Elliot Smith very late, through a song by Ben Folds called, ironically, It's Too Late. Elliot died in a pretty gruesome and mysterious manner in 2003. You get that feeling that he's one of those people you could stick any instrument in his hand and he'd come up with something musical in moments. Playing a good deal of the instruments on most of his albums he crafted a distinctive, idiosyncratic and beguiling soundscape. Use of multi-tracked vocals, intricately picked guitar and harmonies were key elements. There's a flavour of The Beatles more melancholy moments in his songs and melodies and his songs tend to drift in and out without much bluster or overt dynamic. These aren't criticisms. His recordings always "sound right". The feel of the work was just as important as the playing. I can identify with this in my own recordings where the playing is, usually, secondary (not always through choice!) but I'm happy if I capture the right feel or something approaching the sound in my head.
I can't imagine really listening to Elliot Smith with others. I can't really imagine anyone else going running to it either! It's lonely music but, again, in a good way. You can get lost in it. It's something you might put on late at night if you're writing a dissertation or have a load of organising to do, maybe a big pile of ironing. This sounds like damning with faint praise but I don't mean to. Elliot Smith, will, no doubt be held in a similar light as Nick Drake (with whom he shares some musical similarities) has been, given time and there's a wealth of unreleased material too. Figure 8 and XO are good places to start for the newcomer, although more richly arranged than some of his earlier work.
Almost forgot to mention that Elliot had a number of mental health issues to live with (and ultimately die in no small part because of as the available evidence would suggest - Depression, psychosis and paranoia leading to suicidal tendencies and multiple attempts). So he may not be the ideal running music (although I enjoyed it) but he's possibly the most appropriate for the cause I'm running for.

No comments:

Post a Comment